About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Canning Crushed tomatoes recipe step by step with pics


We have been getting alot of tomatoes and I wanted an easy yet basic way to can them so I can customize my recipes later. This is just a simple way to can tomatoes so they can be prepared later with fresh herbs for various dips and sauces.
I started with 8 lbs of tomatoes and put them through the food processor to get them chopped fairly fine. Then I boiled them down for about 2 and a half hours to get a good thick mixture. Adding 1 tblsp salt.

 When the mixture was reaching the thickness I wanted, I sterilized my jars and lids.
Fill the jars with the tomatoes and clean the rims. Adding Citric Acid (1/8 tsp for half pints and 1/4 tsp for pints) or you can also use Lemon Juice 1 tblsp per pint (as recommended by the National Center for Home Preservation)


Process in a boiling water canner. Half Pints 30 minutes, Pints 35 minutes and Quarts 45 minutes. (if you have a pressure canner and want to save some processing time you can refer to this link here and see the appropriate processing times)

Remove from boiling water and let them rest overnight.

After they have had adequate time to rest, remove the rings and check that all the lids sealed properly, clean the jars, label and store. This recipe will be great for pizza sauce as well as some fresh marinara dipping sauces!

No comments:

Post a Comment