About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kitchen Tip: Precut Onions!

We have alot going on here at our city homestead and I am constantly looking for new ways to speed things up and make things easier on myself without sacrificing quality! This is one of the things that I do to help speed up meals...precut onions! It doesnt take any extra time, but it sure saves time and dirty knives. Everytime I need to chop up some onions for a meal I always chop at least 1 extra onion and put it in a canning jar in the refrigerator (a canning jar with a canning jar lid will help keep the lovely onion smell in the JAR and not in your refrigerator!).
This makes it VERY easy to throw together meals because usually I start all my meals by sauteeing some onions! Last night we had fajitas and I sauteed some onions (that were pre chopped), threw in some tomatoes (that I had seasoned and canned a while ago), tossed in the leftover chicken from dinner the night before (that I had already cut up). Dinner was fantastic and I didnt dirty up anything except the 1 sautee pan and it only took about 5 minutes to make! Healthy and homemade in under 5 minutes!! We even ate on paper plates for less cleanup! compostable paper plates :)
You can use this same method with just about anything! Next time you grill chicken, just throw an extra couple chicken breasts on and cut them up and put them in the refrigerator and plan fajitas or chicken pizza for dinner the next 2 nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment