About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Future Greenhouse A-Frame Swing Set put to use in the Garden!

We have an old metal A-Frame swing set that was here at this house when we bought it. It was really rusted and run down but the thing is a tank! Its taller than most metal swing sets Ive seen and it is super heavy so I didnt want to get rid of it because I knew we could come up with something for it! We sanded all the rust off and painted it and it looked as good as new. We had swings on it, but were given a nice wood play set for free so we thought we could come up with a use for the old metal one.
Last winter was a really long winter and Bryan and I were talking throughout winter wishing we had a green house, but greenhouses are really expensive. A couple weeks ago we were talking and trying to figure out what to do with the metal swing when we realized it would make a fantastic greenhouse!!! We just didnt know how to do it...but we figure with a few modifications that it will work out great!!
We dont really need the greenhouse right now, especially since its spring time, but we are making preparations for next fall.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a green house! And I'm sure that costs a whole lot less than a factory built one.
    I made a small hoop house rig for one of my raised beds (the beds are 10' x 5'). We built it out of thin (read: flexible) PVC pipe. Here's my blog entry: http://eventidefarm.blogspot.com/2013/08/hottest-day-of-summer.html
    Thanks again for your good ideas! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to the same with my wooden A-frame swingset. Last season, I already used it to hang strawberry plants. This year, going to take off the swings, add a shelf and go all out. Maybe extend the back with some 2x4s and build it out with old windows.

    ReplyDelete