About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Cleaning Day

So today is CLEANING DAY! Usually I spend the majority of Saturday doing a deep clean out of all the animal areas, cleaning the yard of animal droppings, and cleaning tools off...but this saturday I was still trying to get caught up with everything since I was gone last friday (up at the hospital with my family for my moms second surgery...Praise God everything is going good with her now and she is home!).
So we woke up at about 6:30 this morning and got after it!! Henry loves to take pictures and I let him take pictures today since I knew I would be busy with cleaning...He got quite a few good ones so I thought I would share them with you all.

A few of me cleaning out the goat barn:
Sweet PDZ Granular, 40 Lbs WhiteBasically I just shovel out all the old straw and then close the gate so the animals cant get in and let it air out for a few hours while I play with the goats...then I lay down a couple cups of Sweet PDZ Granular, 40 Lbs White (This stuff is GREAT for keeping any smell to a minimal!)  Two little goats really dont smell, but as a preventative measure since we have neighbors so close! Goats have a really bad reputation for smelling bad, but its really just the Billy goats that stink when they are trying to attract a female!

Henry also caught a good picture of the garden


And another picture of the compost pile...it is pretty tall by the time Im done cleaning all the animal areas out! I usually water the compost pile after I am done piling up all the straw and then lay a tarp over the top to help hold all the straw in place (so on windy days like today it doesnt blow the straw all over the place). After about a day or two I will take off the tarp and usually the straw stays in place...until the next time I turn the compost!



No comments:

Post a Comment