About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Turkey Stock


Whenever you cook a turkey or chicken, dont throw away the bones! I always save my bones in several large freezer bags until I have plenty of supplies to make a large batch of stock!
Then I just put all the bones into my large stock pot with few onions, carrots, celery, and garlic...cover with water and let it simmer!! Now this is one of my favorite things to do in the winter when the wood stove is roaring because I just let it set on top of the fire and boil all day! But when I am running the stove top I usually will just boil for a few hours. 
Strain out the liquids and its that easy!! You know you have some good stock when it gels. I usually let it cool after straining it and then divide it up into various pint sized canning jars. We use it up fairly fast, but it can easily be pressure canned or jut put into the freezer. Ive also taken the gel chunks and put them into a gallon size freezer bag...then they are really easy to just pop off a chunk out of the freezer to add a little extra flavor and nutrients to a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment