About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Our first salad from the garden!!!


So last night for dinner I picked some lettuce and arugula and made a salad for dinner! It was SO excitting...it sounds little funny to say how excitted I was for a salad for dinner, but we started these plants from SEEDS and it is GREAT to finally get to taste it. Let me tell you it was AMAZING!!  Picked about 10 minutes before we ate it and only traveling about 100 feet, it was as fresh as you can possibly get it!
I had made some homemade croutons a couple days earlier (from homemade bread) and I also tossed it with some homemade salad dressing! The salad dressing is super easy and is just olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and honey mustard (recipe thanks to Kael!!). And of course some yummy sprouts!


The first of many salads to come!!

2 comments:

  1. Kristy and I recently fell in love with arugala, from watching Primal Grill on PBS (http://primalgrill.com/season2/Recipes/202_recipes.html). Can we get the recipe for the dressing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://homesteadroots.blogspot.com/2010/05/homemade-salad-dressing.html

    ReplyDelete