About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Garden Planning!! My favorite time of year

Ive been working hard to get all my seeds organized and plan exactly what will be going into our garden this year! It has been so fun! I love sitting at my front window right beside my wood burning stove with a hot fire and looking out the window at snow on the ground while dreaming of a warm spring garden! But the planning is coming to an end because these plants are being started and we are getting a few nice days to get out and work the dirt! 
For my planning I have #1 "The Vegetable Gardeners Bible" (MUST HAVE book for gardening!!), as well as a diagram of my garden layout, and last but not least...a spreadsheet of all my seeds and how many plants I am wanting to start! I try to put as much information on my 2 sheets as possible so I can refer to them for all my information instead of having to look up info online or fumble through tons of seed packets. 
As the cold winter days come to an end, I will be spending the last few by my wood stove just dreaming of getting my hands dirty in the garden!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is so cute! I am a beginner gardener too. Well over the years I have had small gardens, flowers and vegetable. But I just recently retired so this summer, if it ever gets here, I am planning on really getting serious. I have enlisted my two grandkids to help me. Wish me luck! I will be back often to see what you are doing. Oh, did you just freehand, how did you lay out your garden? Best of luck to you!! Marla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, I definitely wish you the best with your upcoming adventure!! Very exciting!!
    For laying out my garden - we made 4 foot wide rows about 35 feet long with 1 foot walkways...and cram as many of those as we can into our space...which we are adding 2 more rows this year. Then for the planning, I just use graph paper and lay out what I want to plant and how I want to rotate it :) Very fun!

    ReplyDelete