About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wood Stove Cookin

One of my favorite things about winter is the crackling fire in the wood stove! I love to layer the top of the stove with bubbling soups and stock along with the busy whistle of the tea kettle. I use to boil down stock in my standard stock pot until a few months ago when Bryan bought me my new 24 Quart stock pot!! Yes ladies and gentlemen... that's 6 gallons!! I always save chicken and turkey bones in a large freezer bag to make one large batch of stock. Then on a good cold day when the wood stove is roaring, I fill my new stock pot with those dinner remnants along with a few onions, carrots and celery sticks and let the fire do the rest! I usually let the stock rumble all day and into the night then strain out the liquids and let it condense down even more. But hold your britches and don't toss out those bones just yet...there's definitely still meat on them to pull off and save! Perfect for barbecue chicken sandwiches or chicken lettuce wraps! 
Not only do we benefit from the ridiculously good chicken stock for our soups and stews, but wow does the house smell good that day!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment