About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Getting Ready to Start Seeds!


Its time for seed starting and I couldn't be more excited! We have done some planning based on what we learned from last year and now its time to watch that planning grow!
This year we decided to try the seed starting with cardboard egg cartons. I have heard and read a lot lately where people are saying how great it works...so in about 2 months we will know for ourselves! I have 270 open slots for seeds, so now I'm going to lay out exactly what seed will be started in each slot and see what we end up with!
Last year we also did all out seed starting in our loft...since I am 6 months pregnant and only getting bigger, I thought it wouldn't be the best idea for me to be scampering around a small loft 10 feet off the ground in tight, confined spaces...so the seeds are being started in the baby's room. I know, I know that sounds terrible...but the baby isn't here yet and the seeds will all be moved out into the garden long before the baby arrives :) We have been trying to scale down on our space requirements since the baby will need extra space and it is really paying off now that we have a whole room empty for seedlings!
Very excited to see our 2011 garden take off!!!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I don't think the baby will mind. I can't wait to see how the garden does this year. We are moving into a duplex in March so I will not get to have a garden this year. I am so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorrie, Im sorry you wont have a garden :( You should definitely do some container gardening! Do you have space for a few pots outside?

    ReplyDelete