About Me

My photo
My tremendously supportive husband & I have 3 wonderful children, 1 dog, 12 laying hens, 2 dairy goats, 3 bee hives, and a 2000 sq foot vegetable garden on a small 1/4 acre lot in the city. In the center of it all is our small 1,000 sq foot house purchased in 2008 as a foreclosure that we fully renovated to host our growing family, home school adventures, and small home business (CozyLeaf.com). We have a desire to learn a path to self sufficiency finding ways to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. We want to learn to live with less as we laydown roots to our little homestead.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Canning Pear Juice

 
I started off by cooking sliced pears in a little bit of water (a full pot of sliced pears with about 1-2 inches of water at the bottom). I cooked them with a lid on (stirring occasionally) until they were slightly mushy. At that point I set up my kitchen aid mixer with the juicer attachment and put all the fruit through there. This went alot faster than I thought! Addie loved watching all the juice and pulp fall into the gallon jar.

Then I used a fine strainer and strained out the juice from the pulp (so I could add the pulp to the Apple Pear Sauce!). I started with 2 gallons of Pear pulp and juice and ended up with 1 gallon of each after the juice was strained from the pulp.

I prepared my stove top with my water bath canner while also getting the lids sterilized in hot water. With my jars all sterilized I put them in the oven to keep hot and sterile.

The juice is placed in a large pot over medium high heat (stirring regularly) until boiling. Lemon Juice and Sugar is not completely necessary, but I added a couple squirts of lemon juice and about a cup of sugar to the pot to help with preservation and color.

Pour the boiling juice into sterilized jars and water bath for 20 minutes.


Let the jars set overnight to cool and seal and they are ready to clean, label and store!

9 comments:

  1. what all do you do with your pear juice? just drink it plain, or use it in recipes? or do you have any special recipes you use with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used it as a concentrate for juice for the kids

      Delete
  2. Hi, I don't have a juice attachment, would a food processor do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. My food processor actually broke a few years ago and I haven't replaced it...yet. You would need to be sure to remove the seeds and peel

      Delete
  3. You saved my day...was making pear juice and forgot how long to process for. Glad I found you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who cans pear juice concentrate for the kids! My Grand Boys love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just used your recipe juice turned out great. Thanks you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A quarter cup of pear juice added to the second ferment of Kombucha is absolutely amazing! I bought commercial juice to experiment, and am now planning to can as much juice as possible this summer, just for my kombucha. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what temperature do you set the oven to? is it necessary to cook pears first or can juice be raw?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I am really confused. Making pear cider. One recipe calls for 1 cup water, 1 says just enough to cover the bottom and one said enough water to cover all the pears by at least 2 inches. What is the

    ReplyDelete